They key to having the “best” friends is to ask of them what they are capable of giving. Never what they are are not capable of giving.
Don’t ask the friend who always remembers your birthday to console you at 3 am because you argued with your significant other, if he’s a methodic person who usually goes to bed early. On the contrary, don’t ask the person who’s there to comfort you at any hour of the night to remember your birthday… when she doesn’t even remember her own.
Frequently, we do precisely the opposite - we demand that our friends do everything we consider to be right, we require perfection. We usually do this to friends, family… and everyone we love. Isn’t it absurd that we ask more of the ones that we should be more forgiving of?
Everyone of us has their own weak and strong points. Perfection doesn’t exist.
If we want to have the “best” friends, we have to star asking of them only what they can give. If we learn to do this, we will become more flexible and we will be able to enjoy their best traits and forget their mistakes.
This also implies not letting yourself be pressured by others. Many times, other people will demand perfection of us. That’s something we don’t have to concede. If I’m not a good cook, they shouldn’t expect me to make dinner for a familiar event. We don’t have to push past our limits just to please someone who’s asking too much. If they get upset, bad luck. You don’t exist to make other people happy, and that’s OK.
It is better to accept others, and ourselves, as we are. It is not worth it to compromise a friendship because of flaws that aren’t so huge. It’s best to try and accept, with a bit of humor and deportivity, the mistakes and critics of our wonderful (and also falible) loved ones.
52 Notes/ Hide
- in-tense likes this
- blazichu reblogged this from feminismandhappiness
- vibr8 reblogged this from minementis
- tangerinegoddess reblogged this from noctilucens
- tobihalo reblogged this from hell--0n-earth
- alicefrosterhood likes this
- an-oystercloud reblogged this from noctilucens
- hell--0n-earth reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- hell--0n-earth likes this
- do-it-for-your-happiness reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- littlewallflowersecret likes this
- auf-regen-folgt-sonne reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- lauralaexploradora likes this
- jens3nackles likes this
- panffin reblogged this from chocolatesandpotatoes
- chocolatesandpotatoes reblogged this from georghotel
- chocolatesandpotatoes likes this
- mrsbesh likes this
- anniecaye reblogged this from feminismandhappiness
- thesqueakyrobot likes this
- counsellingtheclouds reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- mako-nado likes this
- ravenclawmerlin likes this
- theretoremindme likes this
- coldmorningsun reblogged this from feminismandhappiness
- polarisized reblogged this from feminismandhappiness
- polarisized likes this
- a-time-lady-and-her-tardis reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- blazichu likes this
- kyoyaootori likes this
- catlady2b likes this
- noctilucens reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- mirrored-mazes likes this
- georghotel reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- georghotel likes this
- mlopez43 reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- the-heart-follows-the-brain likes this
- ohsorelativelyfucked likes this
- a-time-lady-and-her-tardis likes this
- fangirl4ever likes this
- girlintheredvelvetswing likes this
- twyishere likes this
- senoralovegood likes this
- holtrish likes this
- officialloverof1d likes this
- feminismandhappiness reblogged this from recoveryandmentalhealth
- sublimelymagnificent likes this
- jess-sketches likes this
- rip-bravewarrior likes this
- recoveryandmentalhealth posted this